Monuments


Palermo Cathedral

Palermo Cathedral is famous all around the world thanks to its beautiful matchless architectural beauty. This wonderful monument is included in the Norman Arab itinerary of Palermo, an UNESCO “World Heritage Site”.

Piazza Pretoria

Piazza Pretoria is also known as “square of shame” because of the naked statues of the fountain. The fountain was built in 1554 by Francesco Camilliani in Florence and then taken to Palermo.

Zisa Palace

Zisa Palace, that once was located out of the city walls, in the Norman Genoardo park, is one of the monuments of the Norman Arab itinerary of Palermo, that is the 51st UNESCO site in Italy.

Monreale Cathedral

The wonderful Monreale Cathedral is probably one of the major and most beautiful work of the Norman Arab Palermo. Beside Monreale Cathedral there is aan old cloister of the 12th century.

Quattro Canti

Quattro Canti, also called Sun Octagon or Sun Theatre, is in the very heart of the city. It is an octagonal square at the crossroads of two main streeets of Palermo: corso Vittorio Emanuele and via Maqueda.

Church of Martorana

The church of Santa Maria dell’Ammiraglio, known as Martorana, is a typical example of Byzantine art in Palermo. It is in the very heart of the city, in piazza Bellini and is also near the church of San Cataldo, Quattro Canti and Palazzo delle Aquile.

Church of San Cataldo

The church of San Cataldois in the very heart of the city, in piazza Bellini and is also near the church of Santa Maria dell’Ammiraglio, known as Martorana. The church of San Cataldo is one of the monuments included in the Norman Arab itinerary of Palermo.

Teatro Massimo

Teatro Massimo Vittorio Emanuele of Palermo is the biggest opera house in Italy and one of the greatest in Europe, third in size. It is a neoclassical-eclectic building erected on the remains of the church of Stimmate demolished at the end of the 19th century.

Teatro Politeama

Teatro Politeama Garibaldi was built between 1867 and 1874 in neoclassical style. They followed the project of Damiani Almeyda and it has an elegant curvilinear outline. It the second theatre of Palermo after Massimo.

Chinese Palace

Chinese Palace, also called Chinese House, is an old royal mansion of the Bourbon-Two Sicilies. It is lovated near the Favorita Park, at the edge of Monte Pellegrino Reserve.

Norman Palace

Norman Palace, also known as Royal Palace, was the place where Normans decided to build their fortress and seat of government of the city. Inside it there is the wonderful Palatine Chapel.

Capuchin Catacombs

Capuchin Catacombs are in the district Cuba, in the basement of the Capuchin convent and of the church of Santa Maria della Pace. The church and the convent date back to 16th century.